Medical Tourism has become a real buzzword in the last few years. But what does it really mean?
Medical Tourism occurs when people elect to travel abroad for treatments, surgeries and general medical care. The decision to leave your country for these procedures comes with several advantages and opportunities; combining it with touristic activities and discover more about the country you’re traveling to is one of the opportunities, but the main drivers are as follow:
- “Health care costs are increasing at eight percent per year – well above the Consumer Price Index (CPI), thus eating into corporate profits and household disposable income.
- The safety and quality of care available in many offshore settings is no longer an issue: Organizations including the Joint Commission International (JCI) and others are accrediting these facilities.
- Consumers are willing to travel to obtain care that is both safe and less costly.” (quotes taken from the report “Medical Tourism: Consumers in Search of Value” from Deloitte Center for Health Solutions)
- No waiting-lists on the destination country
- Privacy and confidentiality provided abroad
- Treatments not available at your home country
Wikipedia states that “services typically sought by travelers include elective procedures as well as complex specialized surgeries such as joint replacement (knee/hip), cardiac surgery, dental surgery, and cosmetic surgeries. Individuals with rare genetic disorders may travel to another country where treatment of these conditions is better understood. However, virtually every type of health care, including psychiatry, alternative treatments, convalescent care and even burial services are available.”
Portugal as a Medical Tourism Destination
The combination of a long tradition of high-quality touristic offers with state-of-the-art private medical infrastructures, available 24*7, with spotless facilities, private rooms and no waiting-lists, as well as highly qualified patient-oriented medical teams, fluent in different languages, are the basic ingredients for the creation and development of a Medical Tourism cluster in Portugal.
Medical Port is a Premium Medical Tourism Facilitator that helps you throughout the entire process providing you with adequate alternatives for surgeries and medical treatments in Portugal. Adequate meaning cost-effective, quality driven, according to your timings and customized to your needs. Medical Port makes sure the entire process is quick, smooth and trouble-free.