Gastric band surgery is one of the most common weight-loss surgeries performed today. It is also known as laparoscopic gastric band or lap band surgery and consists of constricting the stomach to give a fuller feeling after eating less food than the person would normally do.
Those who undergo this type of weight-loss surgery are obese people who want to achieve weight-loss goals while going under minimally invasive surgery. According to Medical News Today, “it is a minimally invasive, quick, reversible and adjustable surgical procedure that decreases the size of the stomach to reduce food intake”.
According to Medical News Today these are some of the advantages of gastric band:
- Potential for long-term weight loss, which leads to, increased mobility and decreased risk for chronic diseases.
- Reversibility: the band can be removed and adjusted. Depending on the results the band can be tightened or loosened and even removed if the patient isn’t loosing enough weight or didn’t adapt to the band.
- Since the stomach isn’t cut, the normal digestive process isn’t affected.
- Short hospital stay: usually the hospital stay required is less than 24 hours and even same-day discharge is often possible.
- Lower complications when compared to other weight loss surgeries and less demands of dietary changes.
Gastric band surgery is appropriate for those who are diagnosed with obesity by medical standards and after several exams. Medical Port developed an exclusive obesity diagnosis program, which includes a thorough examination of the causes of excess weight, includes exams and analysis and consultations from several medical specialties before a final diagnosis is issued. After being diagnosed, the patient starts a diet so that when the gastric band is in place, besides from having lost some weight already, the patient as also gain new eating habits and is ready to stick to a new healthy lifestyle.
If you would like more information about Medical Port’s obesity diagnosis program, click here.